collapse

Author Topic: Auger not performing properly  (Read 415 times)

Offline JLamey

Auger not performing properly
« on: Fri July 28, 2017, 10:16:47 PM »
My Finn T-60 with the Kubota diesel will not spin the auger with even a half tank of mulch. I recently did a full hydro oil/filter change which included pulling the intank screen which was clean.  I'm certain that it is not the mixture or anything like that. The pressure gauge shows as much as 1000 lbs. when auger is bound up. So my guess is either the bi-directional valve or the auger drive motor. Is this motor rebuild-able? What would a replacement motor cost? I cant seem to find it online and I don't have a local dealer. Any ideas?

Offline Turboguy

• Administrator
  • Forum Legend
  • Beaver Falls, PA
    • Turbo Turf HydroSeeding Systems
Re: Auger not performing properly
« Reply #1 on: Sat July 29, 2017, 11:53:28 AM »
Sorry to hear about the problems.  We have some guys who are here often that are very experienced with Finn's units and hopefully one will pop in soon and can help you diagnose the problem.   Without knowing much about Finn's units I would not rule out the hydraulic pump as the culprit.  That 1000 PSI sounds low to me.  I tried to take a quick look at the manual for your unit to see if it gave normal operating pressure but it doesn't.  All it says about PSI is that the relief valves are set for 2250 PSI.  I do know that our hydraulic units run between 1800 and 2000 PSI. 

We should have some better info for you soon.   
Turbo Turf HS-300-XPW +The new for next year HS-400-ZH.

Offline HSandG

• Forum Member
    • www.hsandgerosioncontrol.com
« Reply #2 on: Mon July 31, 2017, 06:26:41 PM »
We had the same problem with our t-330 last month. The culprit was an o ring in the directional valve on the output part that sends a pressure signal to the pump.
It took two weeks to solve the problem! Here is a rundown of what we went through.
Day 1- We are seeding a five acre job at a substation , everything is running fine , then all of a sudden the augers are turning too slow to mix the batch. Its the last batch we need so we struggle through it and finish the job. Pressure gauge shows 1000 psi.
Go back to the shop to flush out ...the augers are spinning fast as usual with just enough water in there to fling it around to clean the tank. We figure it must have fixed itself...yea right.
Day 2- Off we go to seed around a detention pond 50 miles from the shop. Get to the job ...start filling the tank..about 3/4 filled and the augers slow down. Spend an hour on the phone  with the dealer , the Finn factory , our trusted hydraulic shop. Everyone had a different idea of what it might be. Sooo struggle through that job , call the clients we were supposed to seed for the next day and reassure them we will be there within a day . Go back to the shop , flush out and the augers are spinning nice and fast.
Day 3- The hydraulic shop insists that it has to be the pump. I tell them its only a year old. (we completly remanufactured our machine the previous winter ,replaced everything...new engine ,clump piping , bearings ,sandblast ...every single thing except the two auger motors because they worked perfect.) I want to take the whole truck there so they can test the system as a whole. They dont do that kind of thing so i take the pump off , go to their shop. They take it apart , put it back together and tell me ...to their suprise...its like brand new. They adjusted the pressure compensator on the pump so it will be fine now.Put it back on , no change.
Day 4- Its Friday. Take the valve off and off to the hydraulic shop we go. They take the valve apart , rebuild it again ,everything seems fine. Go back to our shop , put it back on , no change. Now i cant do anything till Monday.
Day 7- Monday. Call the Factory ,the hydraulic shop...anyone else i could think of and finally the dealer.I was desperate enough to ask what a new t-330 costs and how fast could i get one. Well they are very expensive so we'll hold off for a while. Now everyone figures it must be the auger motors. I wonder how two can fail at the same time ,so we take them to the hydraulic shop . They take them all apart and tell me they dont look too bad but there is slight wear. FINE!!! order two new ones.
Day 8- wait for the auger motors.
Day 9- Put the new auger motors on , optimistically fill the tank so we can go do the job we have now delayed for a week, the load mixes but things are not right. We get to the site , the augers are barely turning, we manage to spray the load...it started to downpour just as we started. Called everyone again .
Day 10- The hydraulic shop agrees to test the unit as a whole. They fiddle with everything . Flow rates are good , augers spin fast...the machine is empty. Go back to our shop ,put water in and the augers slow right down.
Day 11- bright and early we are at the hydraulic shop to take everything apart again , put a new pressure compensator on the pump , fiddle with the adjustments. They reassure me its fixed this time. I'm not convinced , but we go back to the shop , fill with water and ...nope i'ts not fixed. I'ts Friday again!
Day 14- Monday. Back at the hydraulic shop . By now they have called in a retired employee to fix this thing. After testing everything , fiddling with everything , he asks the other techs if they rebuilt the outer valve section or just the actual valve. To my dismay , they said they only rebuilt the actual valve and not the outer sections for inlet and outlet because nothing ever goes wrong there. Well , that outlet side is where that stupid little o ring lives . It seals the valve compensator , which regulates how much pressure the pump produces.
Up until this point , the pump could only produce 1400 psi. It needs to be around 3000 psi. Because the o ring was leaking , the Machine ran fine with no load , but as soon as the slurry got thick the leaky o ring did not allow the valve to feel a load , so it couldn't tell the pump to build pressure.
I'm glad my my clients were understanding.
finn t-330 , b-260 mulcher

Offline JLamey

« Reply #3 on: Sun August 06, 2017, 10:43:47 PM »
HSandG First off thank you for taking the time to type all that! I have gone down that exact same road with other pieces of equipment so I know full well where your coming from. Well first thing Tue. morning I am headed to my shop to check that O-Ring! That sounds like you are describing my machine to a T. I will let you know what I find. Again thank you

Offline hydroservice

• Forum Legend
« Reply #4 on: Thu August 10, 2017, 09:28:32 AM »
The first thing to do is check your hydraulic pressure. Put a block of wood under a paddle to trig the auger so it can't move. engage the auger with the engine running. if the block holds go to 1/2 or better throttle and read the hydraulic gauge that is attached to the 4 way valve. if it is a lot lower than 2100 that is your problem and the pressure needs to be turned up
Erosion Control Equipment & Products Since 1947
                     Pittsfield, Maine
                        FINN T-330

Offline HydroRI

• Sr. Forum Member
    • Hydroseeding in Rhode Island
« Reply #5 on: Sat August 12, 2017, 10:52:11 PM »
The first thing to do is check your hydraulic pressure. Put a block of wood under a paddle to trig the auger so it can't move. engage the auger with the engine running. if the block holds go to 1/2 or better throttle and read the hydraulic gauge that is attached to the 4 way valve. if it is a lot lower than 2100 that is your problem and the pressure needs to be turned up

Had this problem with my T75. Kept falling out of the proper adjustment. Even after setting it back it would drop again within a week. Could not figure out how it was dropping. Finally replaced the valve and never had another problem.
FINN T-120T Stainless Steel    Hydroseeding in Rhode Island

Offline hydroservice

• Forum Legend
« Reply #6 on: Tue August 15, 2017, 11:29:55 AM »
REPLACING THE PRESSURE RELIEF VALVE WILL USUALLY FIX THE PROBLEM IF IT WON'T HOLD ITS ADJUSTMENT
Erosion Control Equipment & Products Since 1947
                     Pittsfield, Maine
                        FINN T-330

* Recent Posts

Re: How to move a hydroseeder by GarlandMill
[Yesterday at 10:21:55 AM]

Re: (TX) 2017 TurfMaker 550 (Basically New) by jakesullivan
[Wed October 18, 2017, 01:01:48 PM]

Tips for Seeding with Finn T120 by HydroSEAder1
[Wed October 18, 2017, 12:03:38 PM]

Re: Pressure Lubricator by Smerfdog
[Tue October 17, 2017, 10:50:26 PM]