collapse

Author Topic: New hydro seed job - have questions  (Read 268 times)

Offline tmhollywood

New hydro seed job - have questions
« on: Wed June 21, 2017, 07:21:53 PM »
So I hired a company to remove all of the turf in my back yard and hydro seed. Hydro seeding was finished yesterday. They also installed some new sprinkler heads and marked them all with flags.  This afternoon, after it had a chance to dry I walked the perimeter of the yard to pull the flags (so they wouldn't interfere with the watering) and noticed a few things that concerned me.  I'm not sure if these are typical things, but from the research I've done online they are not.  I'm looking for a second, professional opinion.

For starters they did not bring in any additional topsoil after removing the existing top layer of grass/weeds.  I'm attaching pictures of some of the areas that caught my attention.....they hydro seeded over gravel areas, large rocks (bigger than my fist) and sticks/branches.  Also left exposed sprinkler heads above the soil. 

Any thoughts on whether this is typical, or is this shoddy work?

Offline landscaper1009

• Forum Guru
  • If I can't help, I'll send you to someone that can
Re: New hydro seed job - have questions
« Reply #1 on: Thu June 22, 2017, 10:27:34 AM »
Let me say, I'm not sure exactly what was communicated between you and the contractor, but looking at  your pictures, I'd say the job was OK as far as coverage, but poorly done where they just seeded over the gravel. 

I've always seen the sprinkler heads were level with the surrounding soils.
TB Master LLC
P/T ECS
Permanent / Temporary Erosion Controls Solutions
1009 Londondery Dr
Bel Air, MD  21015

410-627-6110 Cell
Tom Master
tbmaster1009@gmail.com
Formerly Wolbert & Master, Inc.
Est. 1968

Offline dawrule

• Forum Member
    • Dawrules Hydro Grass Emporium Extravaganza & Erosion Control
« Reply #2 on: Fri June 23, 2017, 03:21:07 PM »

What was the seed mix used, and application rate in lbs per 1000 square feet? Seeding contractors should always supply a seed tag when asked. This is very important to have if this gets legal.

Going into hot summer, seeding on compact soil is a recipe for disaster.

A experienced hydroseeder will advise against seeding over gravel like that. Seed to soil contact is key!

Offline Turboguy

• Administrator
  • Forum Legend
  • Beaver Falls, PA
    • Turbo Turf HydroSeeding Systems
« Reply #3 on: Sat June 24, 2017, 08:25:19 AM »
When it comes to hydro seeding things are pretty straight forward.  Basically if they use quality materials and apply it at the proper rate things usually turn out well.

When it comes to prep work things are not always as cut and dried.  You said that you had hired them to remove the existing turf and hydro seed.  That is pretty much what they did.  Probably they didn't expect the soil under the turf to be in the condition it was and most likely bringing in a few inches of top soil would have made the job much better but that isn't what you said you hired them to do. 

Now I do think when they saw what was under the turf they should have had a talk with you and said "What is under the turf looks pretty bad.  There are lots of gravel and big rocks and I would suggest we bring in x inches of top soil and that is going to add $ ??? to the price and let you decide.   That they were remiss in doing but they did do what they were hired to do.  I can't say they were totally wrong but I can't say they did shoddy work but they were a little lax in making sure you had the lawn you hoped to have. 

Turbo Turf HS-300-XPW +The all new HM-400-T.

* Recent Posts

Using Pool Water by procut
[Today at 09:39:13 AM]

Re: What would YOU do with this Bowie 800? by Bowie Man
[Wed July 19, 2017, 06:33:36 PM]

Re: Marijuana use and employment issues by Bowie Man
[Wed July 19, 2017, 06:30:52 PM]

Re: Marijuana use and employment issues by landscaper1009
[Wed July 19, 2017, 02:44:00 PM]

Re: What would YOU do with this Bowie 800? by dawrule
[Wed July 19, 2017, 02:06:46 PM]

* Calendar