collapse

Author Topic: Lesco site one grass seed  (Read 812 times)

Offline cag1980

• Sr. Forum Member
Lesco site one grass seed
« on: Thu July 13, 2017, 09:14:59 PM »
Looking for opinions on this company's grass seed. I was called today by a rep for the company and let them quote me supplies . They didn't do to well with mulch pricing but said they could work on that but they really came in low on the grass seed.
The quote for the metro mix was almost half what I'm paying now. The seed tags looks fine from what I could tell, but I googled the varietys and didn't find much information . I don't really ever come across a customer that's willing to be a test pilot .. wondering if anyone uses this seed or has and can provide a review. I'm located in the northeast ... thanks chris
« Last Edit: Thu July 13, 2017, 09:18:44 PM by cag1980 »
Finn T120      IAHP member

Offline Turboguy

• Administrator
  • Forum Legend
  • Beaver Falls, PA
    • Turbo Turf HydroSeeding Systems
Re: Lesco site one grass seed
« Reply #1 on: Fri July 14, 2017, 08:45:47 AM »
That seems like a pretty similar or nearly identical mix to what we have been using for years.  We have always had good results and it has produced a beautiful lawn. 

Here is a photo of what a mix like that should look like when it comes in.  This was actually a lawn repair after they put French drains in at my daughters house.  This is at 10 days but she had a nice lawn in less than 5 days.  There is a video of this job being shot and some follow up photos on our Facebook page.  Here is a link if anyone wants to see either an HM-400-TE loading and spraying or what a nearly identical seed mix would look like in a series of follow up photos.    https://www.facebook.com/Turbo-Turf-263005730481669/
Turbo Turf HS-300-XPW +The new for next year HS-400-ZH.

Offline cag1980

• Sr. Forum Member
« Reply #2 on: Fri July 14, 2017, 07:42:43 PM »
Ray that lawn looks really nice! I really enjoyed scrolling through your facebook page!!
I use a mix similar for our standard mix but not those varieties, thats what kind of worries me about this seed ..
I only recognize the shamrock bluegrass which I think has been around a long time . Hopefully others can chime in. I'm Looking forward to taking the IHAP seed seminar next time it comes around I missed it last year.

Offline Elsworth

« Reply #3 on: Sat August 19, 2017, 02:23:21 AM »
That's a lovely looking lawn there Ray!

Offline Turboguy

• Administrator
  • Forum Legend
  • Beaver Falls, PA
« Reply #4 on: Sat August 19, 2017, 08:55:40 AM »
Thank you Elsworth.  My son-in-law did the seeding and it was his first time ever running a hydro seeder.  I was very pleased with the way the job turned out.  My daughter (his wife) has hydro seeded a number of times but let him do this one.  One of the photos I have somewhere that I think is funny is her seeding the one acre lawn on the new house she and her first husband had just built.  She was there seeding away in the photo as he sits on the front porch, feet up, drinking an iced tea. 

Later next week I am going to start redoing my own lawn.  We bought a house a little less than two years ago and although the lawn looks fine it has been largely taken over by a yellowish thick bladed grass.  Late this coming week I am going to Roundup most of the front lawn and about half the back lawn, wait 4 or 5 days and redo the Roundup and then reseed it.  I hope my job comes out as well as my daughter's lawn.  I will most likely post some photos. 

Offline Dissapointed

« Reply #5 on: Mon October 02, 2017, 08:24:50 AM »
I would not recommend Lesco grass seed. I have been reseeding lawns for close to 30 years and bought Lesco Teammates and applied to fresh loam with very poor results and replaced with an Agway seed and had terrific results. I called the local Site one/ Lesco rep and he could care less. Save your back from a RE-DO  and stay away from it.

Offline Turboguy

• Administrator
  • Forum Legend
  • Beaver Falls, PA
« Reply #6 on: Mon October 02, 2017, 10:31:59 AM »
I am sorry to hear you had a bad experience with both Lesco (Site One) and their seed.  It could have been a bad batch or old seed but there is no excuse for bad service.  Hopefully it is the person at the store you were dealing with and not a problem at all stores.  Still is it always disappointing and aggravating to experience something like that.

I have occasionally used seed from Agway and always found the product and service to be great.  Our nearest Site One store isn't very close so I have no recent experience with them. 

Offline cag1980

• Sr. Forum Member
« Reply #7 on: Mon October 02, 2017, 07:03:42 PM »
We shot a couple pallets of the Lesco and seems to be doing well. The first pallet we mixed a bag of Lesco and one bag of our regular stuff to kind of ease into it . We now have been using the park and metro alone and it seems good.
I know the kind of seed you are using teammates is a lot of fescue .. You also said you have been seeding for 30 years so you know much more than me.
So this would be just a observation .. A few times I have been given a pure fescue seed to shoot and did not like the results. It was hard to say how good the people followed up with after care , but I stayed away from using it unless requested and supplied. Then this fall I used it on my own yard for a large spot that I could not keep grass because I hear of people raving about its heat and drought resistance. I bought the best my regular supplier ( not Lesco )had almost $200'for a 50 lbs. well of course my prep and follow up has been top notch and going into it 3rd week I'm not impressed.The IAHP offers a class about seed . I missed it last year I'm hoping to catch it next time around to gain some more knowledge..

Offline Bowie Man

• Officers
  • Forum Legend
    • http://www.NEBowieSales.com
« Reply #8 on: Wed October 04, 2017, 01:45:20 PM »
A great discussion and if you will I would like to make a few points.
1) Learning to read and understand a seed tag is critical.  Seed tags can provide you germination rates as well as the cultivar name of all the seed in the bag.  Note that if no name is listed and a generic name is used such as "chewings fescue" as opposed to "Midnight Blue Grass" you are dealing with a VNS (variety not stated) seed.  This could be a combination of seeds that can not  be identified other than by type.  So the quality of seed is at question.  In certain varieties this is fine but the bulk of your seed Bluegrass, Fescue or Perennial Ryes should be a specific cultivar for best results.  In addition all seed tags must have a date of testing on the tag.  Seed Tags that are over 1 year old should be retested to ensure the germination rates stated are accurate.   

2) Mono-cropping in a turf situation is not advisable.  In the Northeast combinations of Fescue, Ryes and Bluegrass are most common.  Each variety brings different advantages to the  turf mix that can help it thrive under different environmental conditions.

Learning to read and understand a Seed Tag is your insurance in obtaining viable seed and getting reliable results.
Ed Dugan
Northeast Bowie Sales LLC
Phone: (908) 231-0987
Fax:  (908) 333-4117
Mobile: (908) 334-6398
www.nebowiesales.com

Now Playing - New Bowie Video featuring our Hydro-Mulchers and Straw Blowers in action.
See what you are missing at:  www.bowieindustries.com

Offline landscaper1009

• Forum Guru
  • If I can't help, I'll send you to someone that can
« Reply #9 on: Fri October 06, 2017, 10:07:05 AM »
To add, it I may to Bowie Man's information, that the cultivars or variety generally can be checked on the NTEP website.

http://www.ntep.org/tf.htm

I have dealt with national and local suppliers and they are generally putting in the bag what the label says.  Maryland requires the seed to be tested to insure you are getting what is on the label.  We received a stop sale order from the MD Dept of Ag on a 1/2 trailer load of seed because it was labeled incorrectly.  The company sent in two reps to relabel each of the 480 bags.  Once, a pallet of seed tested was issued a stop sale order in MD because it had 7 seeds per 1,000 of a noxious seed.  The seed was acceptable to be sold into other states.

I noticed is that on one tag, it states 0.0% weed seed.  While it can be done, it isn't always the case.

I know of a contractor that demands 0.0% weed seed for his lawns.  If and when one of his builders complains, he shows him the seed tags.  Quite often I have heard homeowners complain about the results when they don't understand that there is more to having a good lawn after the it is established.  Very few new homeowners understand that lawns need to be maintained.  (His company does the final grading, seeding and landscaping on the new homes.)

As a rule, the seed you will get from the seed houses will be more than adequate.

TB Master LLC
P/T ECS
Permanent / Temporary Erosion Controls Solutions
1009 Londondery Dr
Bel Air, MD  21015

410-627-6110 Cell
Tom Master
tbmaster1009@gmail.com
Formerly Wolbert & Master, Inc.
Est. 1968

* Recent Posts

Re: Insurance for Hydroseeding by ZaxHydroseeding