collapse

Author Topic: What would YOU do with this Bowie 800?  (Read 418 times)

Offline Lupine

What would YOU do with this Bowie 800?
« on: Sun July 16, 2017, 05:46:50 AM »
Last week we shipped a Bowie Victor 800 in from CA. We paid $7200 for the unit and $1500 shipping. The unit was said to be a good running unit with 200' hose on electric reel. The day after the unit arrived we new we were in trouble. I have a quote list running with the dealer but I am looking for some advice on whether the unit is salvageable.

Here are the issues that we have found so far: Ball hitch bent, auger seals leaking, bale shredder seals leaking, fill tube at bale shredder is rusted clean through, leak behind pump, main belt cracked, chains and sprockets are worn pretty good, no gauges work (including hour meter), only 133' of hose, electric reel did not have enough power to reel in hose, leak at hose reel connection, leak at tower swivel, (now on to the real good stuff) the tank has rust spots in it that i can shove a tape measure in 1.5" through. I wandered how this is true, it's true because there are flush tanks on both sides of the tank. In the front of the unit it just leaks through. The fill for the flush tank is a rusty mess. The drain was plugged and I haven't got it out yet. The plumbing for the flush tanks has been removed (valves). There is no recirculate valve, it's either on or off. Throttle and choke cables are busted up top. And of course...it needs new tires.

With that being said, the tower swivel and the leak at the hose reel were the only reported leaks. There was said to be "some rust". Tires were reported to have dry rot and cables reported missing. The engine starts and runs great (besides the fact that there is no muffler and sounds like an old war bird), and the pump was just "rebuilt".

Monday I will drive it an hour away to an oil field company that refinishes equipment. I'd like to know if the tank is fixable and if the structural integrity of the trailer has been compromised.

The seller is willing to renegotiate the price but kinda balked when I said over $2k.

Any thoughts? What's this rust bucket worth? I may have the option to ship it back. If I do, I'm out $3K in shipping but that may beat the alternative of this whole ordeal.
« Last Edit: Sun July 16, 2017, 12:53:19 PM by Lupine »

Offline cag1980

• Sr. Forum Member
Re: What would YOU do with this Bowie 800?
« Reply #1 on: Sun July 16, 2017, 02:21:01 PM »
Sorry to hear the bad luck with the machine.
If your not able to do the work I think your looking at pretty big bill. Not to mention how long will it take to get the repairs done.The unit seems neglected and My concern would be what else is learking once you start running it. Some who doesn't replace a muffler and runs a machine probably didn't bother to keep up on oil changes and other maintenance items. When the machine is running under load that's when the next round of items would show its ugly face.
Things to consider.. take the hit send it back.. how bad do you need a machine .. is this your upgraded seeder or first and you have a bunch of jobs lined up? Starting a business with a unreliable machine can have you lose opportunities that you will never get back. But if this is a upgrade and you haven't sold your old machine it's not nearly as big of a problem ..If your strong financially you could beat the guy up as much as you can for a credit and purchase another Bowie and keep this one for parts? You could also just hold it and part it out to recoup your money or make it a winter project ..
Not knowing your background and business structure I can only speculate ..what would work for my company may not work for
yours.
If you give us some more info on your business others could probably make better recommendations..
Finn T120      IAHP member

Offline Turboguy

• Administrator
  • Forum Legend
  • Beaver Falls, PA
    • Turbo Turf HydroSeeding Systems
« Reply #2 on: Sun July 16, 2017, 05:03:21 PM »
Well I have heard the expression that you get what you pay for and in this case it shows that isn't always true.  It seems to me that you didn't get anything close to what you paid for.  For that money you should have received a pretty decent machine.  I hope it turns out better than it sounds and wish you the best.
Turbo Turf HS-300-XPW +The new for next year HS-400-ZH.

Offline dawrule

• Forum Member
    • Dawrules Hydro Grass Emporium Extravaganza & Erosion Control
« Reply #3 on: Sun July 16, 2017, 05:46:31 PM »
Victor 800 is a easy machine to refurbish. If you know how to use a welder, grinder and barring puller you're set.

Figure in $3,000 for  parts, a new pump, and about 200 beers.

Did you overpay? Yes, but now you have a opportunity to learn every aspect of your equipment and not make the same mistake in the future.

Offline Lupine

« Reply #4 on: Mon July 17, 2017, 08:30:20 AM »
Thanks so much for the reply's.

So a little about our company. This is our 20th year in the lawn maintenance industry. We've been doing hydroseeding for about 5-10. The demand has been low and so it wasn't until 3 years ago that we purchased a 200 gallon Aqua Mulcher. We have access to a 900 gallon Kincaid through a local rental company ($400/day) but sometimes I'd just rather spray with our 200 and use our 350 gallon nursery tank.

Ultimately, I would like to sell the maintenance end of our business and focus on hydro. With all the jobs we've had this year, we figured it was time to start looking around. I have spent a great deal of time reading about Bowie and Finn. When I saw this machine I really thought we were going to be all set. So now we are here.

I do have a mig welder. I'm not afraid of a rebuild. I don't have the time for it. 3K sounds about what I was thinking...3-5K if I have someone else to the tank...and 200 beers is correct as well  :).

If the seller is willing to negotiate, would it be safe to say this machine is worth closer to 3-4K? If he is not willing to negotiate down from $7200, I believe it's worth taking the loss and shipping it back.

Offline Turboguy

• Administrator
  • Forum Legend
  • Beaver Falls, PA
    • Turbo Turf HydroSeeding Systems
« Reply #5 on: Mon July 17, 2017, 10:02:52 AM »
With as much as it needs I would say 3-4 grand would be an OK price but it definitely isn't worth what he sold it to you for.  Several years ago I bought a used 500 gallon Bowie on eBay for a very cheap price.  When I saw what it took to get it running I ended up hauling it to the scrap yard.  Bowie's machines are excellent machines and stand up well and usually a decent machine at that price would have been a great choice but that one sounds like it was really neglected and really needs a lot of work.  At the price you paid and what it will take to get it running you are nearly to what you could have had one of our 500 or 750 gallon paddle machines brand new. 

I think you are on the right track.  Either get him to drop the price or ship it back.  We all hate to lose money but I am sure you can find a better machine that won't take as much work for what you paid.  There are lots of good used machines out there.  Keep us posted on what you decide to do.
Turbo Turf HS-300-XPW +The new for next year HS-400-ZH.

Offline Bowie Man

• Officers
  • Forum Legend
    • http://www.NEBowieSales.com
« Reply #6 on: Mon July 17, 2017, 12:35:57 PM »
A project indeed.  If you need parts etc. you can contact me.  The numbers for rebuilding are probably inline depending on the engine and clutches condition.
Ed Dugan
Northeast Bowie Sales LLC
Phone: (908) 231-0987
Fax:  (908) 333-4117
Mobile: (908) 334-6398
www.nebowiesales.com

Now Playing - New Bowie Video featuring our Hydro-Mulchers and Straw Blowers in action.
See what you are missing at:  www.bowieindustries.com

Offline Lupine

« Reply #7 on: Wed July 19, 2017, 11:12:13 AM »
How can I find part numbers online? I'd love to have a parts diagram for this specific machine.

Just an update: I took the machine to a place that does tank refinishing for the oil and gas industry. They are going to give me an estimate by the end of the week. Bowie dealer has given me an estimate on some of the parts to get things going again. I'll keep ya updated.

Steve

Offline Lupine

« Reply #8 on: Wed July 19, 2017, 11:15:56 AM »
Unit #801086903
Engine #6170069
Can't read what this one is but the number is #431987

Anyone know if Bowie will make new Serial Number placards? This one is SHOT!

Offline dawrule

• Forum Member
    • Dawrules Hydro Grass Emporium Extravaganza & Erosion Control
« Reply #9 on: Wed July 19, 2017, 02:06:46 PM »
Most parts on a Victor 800 can be sorced locally at barring and chain outlets. I just got a new V belt on Amazon for a good price. If you try and sub out all the labor for repair you might as well buy a new Finn  :o 

Offline Bowie Man

• Officers
  • Forum Legend
    • http://www.NEBowieSales.com
« Reply #10 on: Wed July 19, 2017, 06:33:36 PM »
Its a 1986 Bowie 800.  You can find a current manual online here http://www.bowieindustries.com/pdf/bowie_man_800-1100.pdf
 Many parts will be the same.
Ed Dugan
Northeast Bowie Sales LLC
Phone: (908) 231-0987
Fax:  (908) 333-4117
Mobile: (908) 334-6398
www.nebowiesales.com

Now Playing - New Bowie Video featuring our Hydro-Mulchers and Straw Blowers in action.
See what you are missing at:  www.bowieindustries.com

* Calendar

September 2017
Sun Mon Tue Wed Thu Fri Sat
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 [19] 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30