collapse

Author Topic: Seed recommendations  (Read 124 times)

Offline Cutting Back LLC

Seed recommendations
« on: Thu February 08, 2018, 10:57:25 PM »
Iím relatively new to Hydroseeding and live in northern WV, roughly 80 miles south of Pittsburgh. My question has to do with recommended seed types/ mixes for various situations or soils. I know that my area primarily uses a turf type tall fescue for regular lawn installs. However, Iím looking to expand into the commercial market this year. What do you all recommend for the following situations?
1) erosion control situations with a slope of 20 degrees or greater

2) high clay content areas

3) shell/rocky soil area

I do provide harley rake services and can get screened top soil for customers BUT have had customers take a pass on the job as a whole due to the added cost of soil/prep work.
Thanks!
« Last Edit: Thu February 08, 2018, 11:10:20 PM by Cutting Back LLC »

Offline Turboguy

• Administrator
  • Forum Legend
  • Beaver Falls, PA
    • Turbo Turf HydroSeeding Systems
Re: Seed recommendations
« Reply #1 on: Thu February 08, 2018, 11:23:42 PM »
Those are good questions and I am glad you asked.  I am about 100 miles north of you so our conditions aren't that different. 

For hillsides I have three options.   Crown Vetch is one I use a lot.  Creeping Red Fescue is another option I use.  It doesn't get as tall as some other grasses which is the reason I use it.  Clover is another option on hillsides.   One thing I like about it is that it is dirt cheap.  It also doesn't grow tall but is not as deep rooted as Crown Vetch.   I used Birdsfoot Trefoil on one job this past year but despite the good things I have heard about it mine didn't come up well. 

A lot of the jobs I do are on pure clay soil (if you can call it soil).  That doesn't seem to cause any problems.  I don't use a TTF but rather a blend of Bluegrass, Fescue and perennial Rye.  I do know south of me TTF is widely used.

As far as rocky soil and shale if it is a hillside I have had good luck with Crown Vetch.  I have seen it grow in the cracks between shale layers.  Nothing is going to grow directly on rocks.  If it is small rocks the grass will grow around them and they are hidden to a degree but if it is large rocks there is nothing that will work.
Turbo Turf HS-300-XPW +The new for next year HS-400-ZH.

Offline Cutting Back LLC

« Reply #2 on: Fri February 09, 2018, 10:41:55 AM »
Iíve heard that crown vetch is a bear to deal with since it takes 2-3 years to get established. With slopes, does the clover & red fescue take root quick enough? Iím looking at a job for a business that I want it to take really well.

Offline Turboguy

• Administrator
  • Forum Legend
  • Beaver Falls, PA
    • Turbo Turf HydroSeeding Systems
« Reply #3 on: Sun February 11, 2018, 11:14:18 AM »
Creeping red fescue seems to germinate in about 2 weeks.  Clover seems to be around 2-3 weeks.  Another option for hillsides that some people seem to like is a tall fescue which does have a little deeper root system than creeping red fescue. 

Most of the time when my customers want grass on a hill they seem to want something that doesn't grow real tall which is why I don't use tall fescue more often but since you are already using it that might be another option.  Creeping red fescue tends to curl over so it doesn't get as tall as some other grasses.  It is also a pretty decent shade grass as well which is the other application I have for it. 

Generally when I plant Crown Vetch I add a rye grass with it to hold everything in place while the crown vetch is germinating.  The Crown Vetch will eventually crowd out the rye grass.  I have had pretty good luck with it.  You don't see much of it for a month or two but by the end of the year it will usually range from 4" tall to one foot tall.  The second year it is usually about the full 18-24 inches tall.  It doesn't seem to do well in shady areas and since I am seeding on steep hillsides, almost vertical in some cases heavy rains can cause a problem if you haven't applied the mulch heavy enough.  Once in a while I will have to go back and redo it but that is pretty rare. 
Turbo Turf HS-300-XPW +The new for next year HS-400-ZH.

* Recent Posts

Re: NEW TO HYDROSEEDING by Turboguy
[Fri February 16, 2018, 11:05:57 AM]

Re: NEW TO HYDROSEEDING by Turboguy
[Fri February 16, 2018, 11:04:38 AM]

Re: NEW TO HYDROSEEDING by barney rubble
[Fri February 16, 2018, 12:52:05 AM]

Re: Wanting to get in the Business by Delores23
[Wed February 14, 2018, 11:53:19 PM]

Re: NEW TO HYDROSEEDING by Jumpstart
[Wed February 14, 2018, 08:35:13 PM]

* Calendar