collapse

Author Topic: How to move a hydroseeder  (Read 269 times)

Offline ProTilling

How to move a hydroseeder
« on: Mon October 02, 2017, 04:36:33 PM »
As I am getting everything worked out I am still trying to figure out how to move a hydroseeder onto the trailer I want in on.  I know they can all be moved with fork lifts but I don't have access to a fork lift.  If I get one delivered how do I get it on my trailer or if I purchase a used one how do I get it off their trailer on onto mine?  I can't be the only one without a forklift in my yard?  I was thinking of maybe getting a couple ratcheting tie down straps and pulling it little by little up the trailer ramp.  Does anyone else have any ideas how to move a 1000+ lb hydroseeder?  Thanks

Offline landscaper1009

• Forum Guru
  • If I can't help, I'll send you to someone that can
Re: How to move a hydroseeder
« Reply #1 on: Mon October 02, 2017, 05:34:13 PM »
Many of the units manufactured today have pick-up rings or hooks to allow the machine to be lifted by a skid steer to small backhoe.

If you purchase a new unit, if it is feasible, take your trailer to the plant and have it loaded. 

If you purchase a used unit, ask the seller if they have the ability to put it on your trailer.

Otherwise, ratchet straps or a come-a-long will be a huge help.
TB Master LLC
P/T ECS
Permanent / Temporary Erosion Controls Solutions
1009 Londondery Dr
Bel Air, MD  21015

410-627-6110 Cell
Tom Master
tbmaster1009@gmail.com
Formerly Wolbert & Master, Inc.
Est. 1968

Offline cag1980

• Sr. Forum Member
« Reply #2 on: Mon October 02, 2017, 06:44:43 PM »
You could build a A frame with a hoist that would allow you to use your trailer for other uses because of the ease of taking it on or off , depending on size you maybe be able to use a engine type hoist or maybe even rig something to a large tree in your yard. If you get it delivered you could probably jack it up and put some pipe under it roll it from one trailer to another . Forks are best and I wouldn't operate without them anymore , but you should be able to get the job done without. If you tell us what your buying and what's it getting delivered on someone could probably tell you exactly how to do it. Don't hesitate to look into a one day rental or sub contract a company to do the initial lift it won't be that expensive.
Finn T120      IAHP member

Offline Bowie Man

• Officers
  • Forum Legend
    • http://www.NEBowieSales.com
« Reply #3 on: Mon October 02, 2017, 08:35:28 PM »
We deal with skid mounted units all the time.  If buying a new unit the dealer can arrange to have it placed on your trailer
When buying a used unit and you don't have any large equipment the best solution is to find a local crane company to do the moving for you.  If you do it in there yard it shouldn't cost more than $200.00. A cheap investment.
Our typical unload .....
Ed Dugan
Northeast Bowie Sales LLC
Phone: (908) 231-0987
Fax:  (908) 333-4117
Mobile: (908) 334-6398
www.nebowiesales.com

Now Playing - New Bowie Video featuring our Hydro-Mulchers and Straw Blowers in action.
See what you are missing at:  www.bowieindustries.com

Offline Turboguy

• Administrator
  • Forum Legend
  • Beaver Falls, PA
    • Turbo Turf HydroSeeding Systems
« Reply #4 on: Tue October 03, 2017, 04:02:39 PM »
This question reminds me of some of my early days in manufacturing hydro seeding units.  Some other options are:

1. A boom type wrecker can lift it off. 

2. You may be able to find a local business with a fork lift that would do that for you.  Way back I had a few guys that were able to get their local Home Depot to do that.

3.  If you can round up about 4-6 guys if you have some pieces of pipe and a pry bar you can block up one end, back your trailer under the end you blocked up and push it on.  Putting pipe under it would let it push effortlessly.  Then use the pry bar to get the pipe out. 

4.  You may be able to pick it up at the freight terminal and have them load it on your trailer for you.  Some freight terminals can not do a ground load however but most have what they call a donkey dick which is a long pole that attaches to forks and can pick up the unit and load it. 

5.  If you have an equipment dealer near you for a hundred or so they might be willing to take delivery and load it on the trailer for you. 
Turbo Turf HS-300-XPW +The new for next year HS-400-ZH.

Offline dawrule

• Forum Member
    • Dawrules Hydro Grass Emporium Extravaganza & Erosion Control
« Reply #5 on: Tue October 03, 2017, 06:32:38 PM »
If it's a light seeder like you say..1/2 ton you could build a basic  1 ton gantry crane. You can use the crane to load and unload the seeder as needed. That way you can still use your trailer for other projects. 

Offline ProTilling

« Reply #6 on: Wed October 04, 2017, 09:33:38 AM »
Thanks for all your replies.  I did make some calls around and found one person that has a forklift that would be willing to help me move it. 

Offline GarlandMill

« Reply #7 on: Fri October 20, 2017, 10:21:55 AM »
That's great. Keep us posted on how it goes. I think I'll need to do the same thing sooner or later.

* Recent Posts

Re: Tips for Seeding with Finn T120 by cag1980
[Yesterday at 10:33:53 AM]

Re: How to move a hydroseeder by GarlandMill
[Fri October 20, 2017, 10:21:55 AM]

Re: (TX) 2017 TurfMaker 550 (Basically New) by jakesullivan
[Wed October 18, 2017, 01:01:48 PM]

Tips for Seeding with Finn T120 by HydroSEAder1
[Wed October 18, 2017, 12:03:38 PM]

Re: Pressure Lubricator by Smerfdog
[Tue October 17, 2017, 10:50:26 PM]

* Calendar