collapse

Author Topic: Websites  (Read 320 times)

Offline Absolutewv

Websites
« on: Tue December 26, 2017, 07:28:20 PM »
Hey guys, going into the second year of full time seeding. Just seeing how many of you guys had much success from websites. I never really received much return on my landscaping side.

Offline dawrule

• Forum Member
    • Dawrules Hydro Grass Emporium Extravaganza & Erosion Control
Re: Websites
« Reply #1 on: Tue December 26, 2017, 10:44:03 PM »
Do you still use a phone book? I sure don't.

Do yourself a favor, and Google hydroseeding "your town"
Is your number listed?

Offline Turboguy

• Administrator
  • Forum Legend
  • Beaver Falls, PA
    • Turbo Turf HydroSeeding Systems
« Reply #2 on: Wed December 27, 2017, 09:28:07 AM »
That is a really good question and I wish I had a really good answer.   I will go into more detail but my best guess is that my website does pretty well for me.

In a typical year I get between 100 and 140 calls for hydro seeding.  I think 120 would be a good average.  There are three ways people can find me to get a quote on hydro seeding.  One is the listing for the IAHP.  One is my website.  The third way is because I seeded for them before or someone I seeded for recommended me.  I don't keep track of how they find me but probably 15-20 are people I have seeded for in the past or someone referred by someone I seeded for in the past.

I do think the IAHP listing and the web site work hand in hand.  They may find me on the listing and like what they see on my web site.  I do however come out pretty well on a Google search or at least did the last time I checked. 

On the negative side I don't seem to get a lot of traffic on my hydroseeding web site.  I do however seem to get a high conversion rate.  It is probably better to have a few visitors the majority of which contact you than it is to have thousands of visitors who glance at your site and move on without any real interest so I am fine with that.  I can recall looking at my web site statistics which show me where someone is that visited my site and I could match up the location of my traffic with calls I got at that time almost perfectly. 

In my case on that side of the business I only do hydro seeding.  I don't mow lawns or do prep work or any other landscape activities so if someone is looking for hydro seeding my whole site is devoted to that.  I see some web sites where the word hydro seeding is mentioned on the services page along with a list of a dozen or more activities such as mowing lawns, raking leaves and building retaining walls.  I see other sites where there is a page for hydro seeding.  My guess is that someone looking just for hydro seeding would be more prone to go with someone specializing in it and if the only mention of hydro seeding was one word on a long list of services they might be less inclined to follow up with that site unless there were few alternatives. 

I have also noticed a lot of the customers I seed for mention things they saw on my web site so that also makes me feel the web site is doing its job.  At the moment my web site is down.  The hosting company switched me to a new server and I need to move the files and repoint my domain so I can't access my traffic statistics.  I hope to get those files moved and the site back up in the next week and will post some of my traffic figures when I can access them again but they are not high.  This time of year I doubt if I get more than one or two visitors a week.  In the spring I would guess it is more in the 15 a week range.

I do get calls that are out of the area I want to service.  I do recall that one of the calls I got from my web site was from Waynesburg which is not my area and I gave them your phone number along with one other contractor who was closer to them than I was.  I also cut back my area this year a little.  I really had more business than I wanted so some areas like Washington PA and Monroeville that I used to go to I now just refer to IAHP members that are closer to them.  I also get calls that are not jobs I want to do.  If someone calls me with a 5, 10 or 15 acre job even though I could do them very profitably I just don't want to take the time that it would take with my 400 gallon machine and refer them to IAHP members with bigger machines.  Most all of those have come from my web site.

Before there were web sites I advertised in the Yellow Pages.  The cost almost killed my profitability.  About 25% of my seeding sales went to pay for the yellow page ads.  Now the web site generates lots of sales at almost no cost.  My yearly cost is about what I paid for one week in the Yellow pages. 
Turbo Turf HS-300-XPW +The new for next year HS-400-ZH.

Offline Absolutewv

« Reply #3 on: Fri January 05, 2018, 08:08:08 PM »
I am already on the listing, I think I am going to finish up the site I've been working on for a few months and see what happens.

Offline Turboguy

• Administrator
  • Forum Legend
  • Beaver Falls, PA
    • Turbo Turf HydroSeeding Systems
« Reply #4 on: Sat January 06, 2018, 01:54:03 PM »
I think that is a good move and one that will help you a lot.  Basically people can click from the listing and you are more than just a name on a list.  They can learn about you and see the kind of work you do.  The list is great but the two things working together can drive a lot of business your way.
Turbo Turf HS-300-XPW +The new for next year HS-400-ZH.

Offline Landman

• Forum Member
« Reply #5 on: Mon January 08, 2018, 12:07:58 PM »
I am already on the listing, I think I am going to finish up the site I've been working on for a few months and see what happens.

Give it several years. A good website will not be amazing over night. It will take you several years of adding modifying and keeping current. The more new content you add the more google bots come and check you out and if its good content you will naturally rank higher. Don't give up on websites. All it takes is  one good job a year to make it all worth while. 

* Recent Posts

Re: Hard Hose vs. Flat Hose by Bluejay
[Thu January 18, 2018, 11:10:59 PM]

Re: Hard Hose vs. Flat Hose by Bowie Man
[Thu January 18, 2018, 10:28:31 AM]

Re: Hard Hose vs. Flat Hose by Turboguy
[Thu January 18, 2018, 10:07:51 AM]

Re: Hard Hose vs. Flat Hose by Bowie Man
[Thu January 18, 2018, 09:49:17 AM]

Hipster Lawn Care by yourgreenpal
[Thu January 18, 2018, 04:14:03 AM]

* Calendar