Notice: Trying to access array offset on value of type null in /home/customer/www/hydroseeding.org/public_html/jcms/forum/Sources/Load.php on line 168

Deprecated: Function create_function() is deprecated in /home/customer/www/hydroseeding.org/public_html/jcms/forum/Sources/Load.php on line 178
History of Hydroseeding

collapse

Author Topic: History of Hydroseeding  (Read 29938 times)

Offline AQUAMULCHER

History of Hydroseeding
« on: Thu May 22, 2008, 11:48:04 AM »
If I could, I would like to add a little history.  Straw mulching was really put on the map with Charlie Finn's "Mulch Spreader" in the late 1940's.  Hydroseeding was develped by Maurice Mandell (spelling may not be correct) of the Connecticut Highway Department.  He found that the method of mixing and suspending seed in water could be sprayed onto steep highway slopes.  Charles Finn adapted that technology to a project he was working on for the West Virginia Turnpike.  He built and commercially marketed the "HydroSeeder", a two piece machine that consisted of a 1000 gallon mixing tank and towed a spray platform, pump and engine.  The idea was to have two mixing tanks and one spray unit.  An ongoing process that did not have to wait for water to fill.

Those first machines had an agitator that had a "T" shaped paddle.  When International Paper created the first "Turf Fiber" in the early 1960's they used  the sludge of a paper mill, dried it, dyed it green and packaged in in a bag that was quite hard and was difficult to break up and mix in the machines with "T" paddles.  Additionally, the closed impeller Gardner Denver Pump that Finn used would not pass the mulch material.  This caused a modification to a paddle blade and the open faced impeller on the Morris Pump.  Bowie Industries entered into the industry with their Rotary Gear Pump.  It worked quite well with mulch, but since Finn did use it on their machine, Bowie introduced the "Hydromlcher". They offered the machine with a Rotary Gear Pump and added a "Mulch Shredder" to break up the hard packaged Turf Fiber.  Fiber sales were not as robust as International Paper had hoped and their project was canceled.  Weyerhauser Company and Conwed Corporation both picked up the pieces.  I am not exactly sure of the dates.  Perhaps Ron Perez could add the correct dates.  Conwed produced their 100% aspen wood fiber "Hydro Mulch" in a tightly packed, 3 section bale, reinforced paper bag and shipped it in rail car quantities from their plant in northern Minnesota.  Weyerhaeused produced 100% hemlock wood fiber "Silva Fiber" in Washington and also shipped in rail cars.  Their product was loose packed in a paper bag and could be easily dumped into the hydroseeder.  Weyerhauser also produced a paper product "PFM" in New Jersey that was from ground cardboard.  This product was packaged in hard form and it had to be broken up in order to get into suspension.  PFM worked very well in Jet Agitated machines, such as the "Reinco".  The Reinco "Hydrograsser" and their very successful "Power Mulcher" joined this rapidly growing industry about this same time.

A few highway departments adapted hydromulch to their specifications.  Probably the largest useage of hydromulch in the early 1970's was for Surface Mine Reclamation.  The ability to spray slopes up to 200 feet and hose up to 400 feet from the machine was ideal for the appalachian coal fields.  This market consumed large quantities of fiber mulch and brought many new producers of mulch products.  Today, we probably have the greatest variety of hydraulic mulch products and they are available at local distributors.  Could you imagine placing an order for a rail car of fiber mulch (about 30 ton), waiting 20 to 30 days for arrival, unloading the box car, transporting, stacking and storing the material for your next project.  There are several others that can add to the history of hydraulic seeding and mulching.  You might contact  Ron Perez (Weyerhauser, Mat Fiber, Techno Fiber 888-477-4411), Walter Reinecker (Reinco 800-526-7687), Phil Faber (Finn, Bowie, Midwest Land Supply 937-725-1170), Jim Lincoln (Bowie, James Lincoln Corp., Turfmaker Corp. 800-551-2304).

Bob Person
TGMI, Inc.
800-241-8464

Offline Whysod

• Global Moderator
  • Forum Legend
  • Phoenix, AZ
    • http://www.whysod.com
History of Hydroseeding
« Reply #1 on: Thu May 22, 2008, 11:25:56 PM »
Thank you for that history lesson Bob.  It was very informative and I truly appreciated it.  Rick
Rick Hardy, Nature's Way HydroSeeding, Phoenix, AZ.,
Specilizing in residential size lawns since 1992.
300 gal Finn T-30 with 250 gallon Nurse tank.

Offline Turboguy

• Administrator
  • Forum Legend
  • Beaver Falls, PA
    • Turbo Turf HydroSeeding Systems
History
« Reply #2 on: Fri May 23, 2008, 10:05:22 AM »
EasyGrass has suggested we try to get some of those who were around in the early days to contribute any additonal information they have about the history of HydroSeeding and try to develop as complete an information resouce as possible.  

I am wondering if there are any photos anywhere of some of those early units?   Anyone know?

I am going to try to add some information on the history of Jet units which to the best of my knowlege started with the Spray Baby.  S&S seeds has rebuilt one and I have just written tham asking for a photo and I do have one of their newsletters that covers a lot of that history.  

If we can put together a pretty complete history then I would like to copy it on a section of the IAHP's main web site.
Turbo Turf HS-400-XPW

Offline easygrass

• Global Moderator
  • Forum Legend
  • Fort Worth, Texas
History of Hydroseeding
« Reply #3 on: Fri May 23, 2008, 10:22:47 AM »
This is the only picture I have so far, will try to come up with some more.

This is Ralph Gedhart , back in the 60's when he was the Bowie rep.
" awareness of the environment through a physical sensation "

Offline easygrass

• Global Moderator
  • Forum Legend
  • Fort Worth, Texas
History of Hydroseeding
« Reply #4 on: Fri May 23, 2008, 11:58:57 AM »
Ok here is another picture , sorry its not the best but it came from a video that I have and it's from the early 50's and I think this was the finn machine,
but do not hold me to this I dont have a way to confirm this.. :rolleyes:
" awareness of the environment through a physical sensation "

Offline Whysod

• Global Moderator
  • Forum Legend
  • Phoenix, AZ
    • http://www.whysod.com
History of Hydroseeding
« Reply #5 on: Fri May 23, 2008, 12:57:29 PM »
easygrass, it's amazing that the Bowie machines havn't really changed that much over the years.  I'll bet a lot of guys would love to have that bale loader...
Rick Hardy, Nature's Way HydroSeeding, Phoenix, AZ.,
Specilizing in residential size lawns since 1992.
300 gal Finn T-30 with 250 gallon Nurse tank.

Offline Bowie Man

• Officers
  • Forum Legend
    • http://www.NEBowieSales.com
History of Hydroseeding
« Reply #6 on: Fri May 23, 2008, 01:40:05 PM »
FYI   -  Bowie makes an elevator for loading, I believe Finn also.  
Whats shown in the picture is basically a shingle loader used by roofers.  You can modify one to fit a hydroseeder  works very well!
Ed Dugan
Northeast Bowie Sales LLC
Phone: (908) 231-0987
Fax:  (908) 333-4117
Mobile: (908) 334-6398
www.nebowiesales.com

Now Playing - New Bowie Video featuring our Hydro-Mulchers and Straw Blowers in action.
See what you are missing at:  www.bowieindustries.com

Offline Turboguy

• Administrator
  • Forum Legend
  • Beaver Falls, PA
History of Hydroseeding
« Reply #7 on: Sat May 24, 2008, 08:04:04 AM »
Here is some information I found on the early patents involving hydroseeders.  I think it helps to put a timeline on some of the developments.  

U.S. Pat. No. 2,878,617, issued Mar. 24, 1959 to Charles O. Finn, discloses a hydraulic apparatus for seeding and fertilizing. This particular apparatus includes: a tank having an agitator positioned therein for suspending solids in an aqueous solution, and a pump for delivering the suspension to a nozzle unit for distribution over the ground surface. The apparatus is shown mounted upon a land vehicle for large scale operations.

U.S. Pat. No. 3,091,436, issued May 28, 1963 to Charles O. Finn, describes a hydraulic apparatus for producing a sprayable fiber mulch having a closed chamber divided into separate suction and mixing compartments by a perforate barrier of expanded metal. An impeller type pump having an intake positioned within the suction compartment continuously withdraws the liquid contents thereof and forces the same into an elongate manifold positioned adjacent the perforate barrier and within the mixing compartment. A plurality of nozzles provided in the manifold are arranged to direct the contents thereof onto and across the surface or face of the perforate barrier. The manual resetting of a three-way valve diverts liquid from the manifold to a spray nozzle for distribution over the ground surface.

U.S. Pat. No. 3,550,965, issued Dec. 29, 1970 to Walter J. Reinecker, shows a mulching machine for spreading dried mulch or straw over seeded ground areas. The machine includes a flailing chamber for receiving opened bales of mulch material, a plurality of beating chains affixed to a rotating shaft for shredding the mulch material, and a blower for forcing the shredded material through a discharge spout and out onto the ground area to be covered. No means are provided for handling aqueous mulch slurries.

U.S. Pat. No. 4,082,227, issued Apr. 4, 1978 to Merle V. McGrane et al, provides a slurry mixer and spreader for attachment to a land vehicle. This particular device is seen to comprise a mixing tank having a screen attached to a rotatable shaft for excluding large debris from entering the tank's discharge opening and paddles also attached to the shaft for suspending solids in an aqueous solution. A spinning mechanism distributes the mixed slurry material over the area which the vehicle passes.

U.S. Pat. No. 4,723,710, issued Feb. 9, 1988 to James C. Lucore, II, discloses an apparatus for spraying mixture of solid and liquid materials having a tank without an internal, mechanical agitating device. The recycling of the liquid mixture through a hydraulic pump facilitates the continuous agitation of the mixture within the tank by a so-called "bubbling effect" and apparently eliminating the need for an in-tank agitating mechanism.

I will search more when time permits and see if I can come up with the drawings for Finn's patent.   I think that could be interesting.   I think everyone reading this knows who Charles Finn is.  

Walter J. Reinecker was the founder of Reinco.  As many of us know, they still exist.  I have no idea who Merle V. McGrane is and listed that since it was part of the reference I found.  

James C. Lucore, II manufactured the "Little Squirt" hydroseeder.  I will post later some things on the history of Jet hydroseeding units but Jim played a big part even though his own success in the field was short and limited.   Little Squirt was made from about 1986 - March of 1990.  He had some role in both Easy Lawn's and Turbo Turf's entry into the business.  I am not sure how much of this I will post but some of it makes a funny story.
Turbo Turf HS-400-XPW

Offline Jennifer

• Sr. Forum Member
    • http://hydroseeding.org
Photos
« Reply #8 on: Sat May 24, 2008, 11:57:40 AM »
I think one of our CHP presenters had some photos of the early turnpike work.  I'll see what I can find.
If your ship doesn't come in, swim out to it!

The International Association of Hydroseeding Professionals’ editorial goal is to provide a forum for personal finance and investment ideas. Our articles, columns, message board posts and other features should not be construed as investment advice.  Their appearance does not imply an endorsement by the IAHP of any specific security or trading strategy. An investor's best course of action must be based on individual circumstances.  For specific tax and/or investment advice related to your individual circumstances, please consult your tax and investment advisors.

Offline hydroservice

• Forum Legend
History of Hydroseeding
« Reply #9 on: Tue May 27, 2008, 09:57:01 PM »
[ATTACH]630[/ATTACH]

Not sure how this will post. Picture is of 1957 Finn hydroseeder doing a demo
Erosion Control Equipment & Products Since 1947
                     Pittsfield, Maine
                        FINN T-330

Offline Jennifer

• Sr. Forum Member
    • http://hydroseeding.org
History of Hydroseeding
« Reply #10 on: Wed May 28, 2008, 10:17:57 AM »
I snagged this from one of our CHP presentations.  According to the presenter, this is a photo of hydroseeding work being done while the PA turnpike was being built, 1950's I think.  That doesn't seem to coincide with the patents.  I'm not sure when the PA turnpike was built but I don't remember when there wasn't one.  Of course, I don't remember the Beatles either...
If your ship doesn't come in, swim out to it!

The International Association of Hydroseeding Professionals’ editorial goal is to provide a forum for personal finance and investment ideas. Our articles, columns, message board posts and other features should not be construed as investment advice.  Their appearance does not imply an endorsement by the IAHP of any specific security or trading strategy. An investor's best course of action must be based on individual circumstances.  For specific tax and/or investment advice related to your individual circumstances, please consult your tax and investment advisors.

Offline Turboguy

• Administrator
  • Forum Legend
  • Beaver Falls, PA
History of Hydroseeding
« Reply #11 on: Wed May 28, 2008, 10:35:27 AM »
Now you are making me feel old Jennifer.  I was at the ribbon cutting ceremony when they opened the bridge over the Beaver River that let the PA turnpike connect with the Ohio turnpike.   the turnpike opened as far as Irwin in Oct 1940.  I don't recall when it opened the rest of the way but I was pretty young when I went to the ribbon cutting ceremonies.  

The tunnels on the turnpike were originally designed to be railroad tunnels and with the advent of autos and trucks the railroad scrapped their construction plans and that left 7 unused tunnels.  The idea of the turnpike came as someone tried to figure out what to do with those 7 unused tunnels.

To be honest I can't see any signs of hydroseeding in the photos.  I see two 105m.m. howlitzers being towed by army vehicles and I see from the workers things have not changed since those days.  They are all sitting on their butts just like they do today.   Neat photo anyway though.
Turbo Turf HS-400-XPW

Offline Turboguy

• Administrator
  • Forum Legend
  • Beaver Falls, PA
History of Hydroseeding
« Reply #12 on: Wed May 28, 2008, 10:39:58 AM »
Is my memory correct that Transit Seeding has a very old, restored and pretty cool looking Finn that they put in the New England Grows show?  I believe they are IAHP members and if I am correct a nice photo of thier unit with information about it might be a nice addition to our thread.
Turbo Turf HS-400-XPW

Offline MarksTLC

• Administrator
  • Forum Legend
  • Organics Rule!!!!
History of Hydroseeding
« Reply #13 on: Wed May 28, 2008, 11:18:32 AM »
Quote from: Turboguy;22415
Now you are making me feel old Jennifer.  I was at the ribbon cutting ceremony when they opened the bridge over the Beaver River that let the PA turnpike connect with the Ohio turnpike.   the turnpike opened as far as Irwin in Oct 1940.  I don't recall when it opened the rest of the way but I was pretty young when I went to the ribbon cutting ceremonies.  

The tunnels on the turnpike were originally designed to be railroad tunnels and with the advent of autos and trucks the railroad scrapped their construction plans and that left 7 unused tunnels.  The idea of the turnpike came as someone tried to figure out what to do with those 7 unused tunnels.

To be honest I can't see any signs of hydroseeding in the photos.  I see two 105m.m. howlitzers being towed by army vehicles and I see from the workers things have not changed since those days.  They are all sitting on their butts just like they do today.   Neat photo anyway though.

Maybe they used the 105m.m. howlitzers, to spread the seed, mulch and fert...:D
Marks Total Lawn Care
Turbo Turf HY-500-HE Hybrid
100% Organic Seeding
2011 & 2012 IAHP President

Offline Turboguy

• Administrator
  • Forum Legend
  • Beaver Falls, PA
History of Hydroseeding
« Reply #14 on: Wed May 28, 2008, 03:31:50 PM »
Well we do call it shooting and some of those hillsides are pretty steep.  Maybe for those tall jobs we can find some old cannons and replace the projectile with wet mulch, seed and fertilzizer.
Turbo Turf HS-400-XPW

* Recent Posts

WTB 1000 gal seeder by Rockdamage
[Thu November 25, 2021, 09:32:00 AM]

Re: Hydromulching a sand quarry by HP Hydromulching
[Fri November 19, 2021, 05:51:44 PM]

Re: Hydromulching a sand quarry by hydroservice
[Wed November 10, 2021, 09:30:26 AM]

Re: Hydromulching a sand quarry by HP Hydromulching
[Mon November 08, 2021, 02:48:56 PM]

Re: Hydromulching a sand quarry by Turboguy
[Mon November 08, 2021, 12:09:10 PM]