collapse

Author Topic: Did the best I could, but no growth so far  (Read 13011 times)

Offline MustardFacial

Did the best I could, but no growth so far
« on: Fri April 22, 2016, 07:16:58 PM »
Hi everyone,

I have a 2.5 acre yard and just had it hydroseeded on April 13. The hydroseed guy said I just had to water it every other day and don't water it when it rains, and also don't walk on it and I would probably see germination in 5-7days.

About 2 days later we had a heat wave (from 57F to about 86F) for the last week, and I've done my best to water it as often as I can. The problem is because I work all day I can only water it when I get home at night, and since I don't have a sprinkler system I've been dragging 400 ft of hose across the hydroseed with an oscillating sprinkler on the other end trying to do my best to water as much as I can before the sun goes down. Unfortunately I only get about 1/3 of it done in the 4 hours left before night sets in. So I've been doing it on a rotating schedule making sure every section of hydroseed gets at least some water within a 24 hour period. Even so when I get back from home after work, the top surface of the hydroseed looks pretty dry after baking in the sun all day. But in a couple sections I pulled up a small corner of the hydroseed and the topsoil under it was a bit moist.

It's been 9 days since the stuff was first laid down, and I've not seen any growth yet. Am I screwed? Is it all dead? Or was it just too hot out for the seed to grow? It's gone back down to 50ishnow in the past couple days, and there has been a constant drizzle going on all day.

What do you guys think? Should I just wait a bit long and see if anything grows?

Offline Jumpstart

• Sr. Forum Member
    • GreenPatch@mymts.net
Re: Did the best I could, but no growth so far
« Reply #1 on: Sat April 23, 2016, 04:22:55 AM »
Hello
Do you see any growth what so ever?
What kind of seed was sprayed out?

The Kentucky Blue Grasses can take up to 21 days before germination.
I am wondering is it even started to germinate considering the lack of watering and the heat.

The seed needs to have moisture to soften the shell/husk and heat in the process for germination. So from the way you've descibed it ,sounds to me like it's a wait and see game for now. But ,water to keep moist.

Seeds in nature can sit dormant for years before the right conditions.
Send a few pictures , some close ups.

Offline TerrawoRx Services

• Forum Legend
  • Turning Brown to Green™
    • TerrawoRx Services
« Reply #2 on: Mon April 25, 2016, 12:32:50 PM »
Im sorry you are having difficulty with your lawn. The honest truth is that you should never have had it seeded without an irrigation system installed. This is a primary requirement for our application because of this exact situation. Turf grasses need a lot of water to germinate and grow. The hydromulch also needs to stay moist throughout the day in order for that seed to absorb the moisture or swell so the root radical can penetrate the soil. Once that seed starts to have any level of dehydration its immediately dead. The investment in an irrigation system is high but it also saves money long term. You might want to go buy a spigot timer and set your portable sprinkler heads in a section of the area seeded and start watering it throughout the day. If you have only one head then get a second or third and test the pressure. You should be able to at least get two heads operating unless you have high pressure. Make sure the hosing is not long per each head so you dont lose pressure in the hose. The area needs 3x water a day in 70 degrees, 4x in 80 degrees, and 5 times in 90 degrees until full germination and an inch tall. Then watering can be cut back. It may not be the whole area but you maybe able to at least salvage a section that was seeded. Never cut corners when trying to seed a property as it simply bites you in the end. Good luck and hope you can make something work.
Regards,
Erik Bernt Burr - Principal
TerrawoRx Services
Organic Hydroseeding, Feeding, Lawn Repair, Erosion Control, Pasture
info@terraworxservices.com
www.terraworxservices.com
Easy Lawn Machines

Offline dawrule

• Forum Member
    • Dawrules Hydro Grass Emporium Extravaganza & Erosion Control
« Reply #3 on: Tue April 26, 2016, 12:11:16 AM »
2.5 acre lawn and no sprinkler system????

Offline MustardFacial

« Reply #4 on: Tue April 26, 2016, 08:03:34 PM »
Hello
Do you see any growth what so ever?
What kind of seed was sprayed out?

The Kentucky Blue Grasses can take up to 21 days before germination.
I am wondering is it even started to germinate considering the lack of watering and the heat.

The seed needs to have moisture to soften the shell/husk and heat in the process for germination. So from the way you've descibed it ,sounds to me like it's a wait and see game for now. But ,water to keep moist.

Seeds in nature can sit dormant for years before the right conditions.
Send a few pictures , some close ups.

Hi

So about a day after I initially posted this I started seeing some growth. I guess the cooler temperatures made a difference after all.

The hydroseed guy said he was spraying "Park 'n Play" when I asked him, but he didn't know what kind of seed it was.

I've got a bunch of pictures I'll throw up, the seeds are starting to come in now in the areas where the hydroseed was layed the thickest, it's really sparse in other areas though. Will that fill in eventually? Or should I start rolling out one of those cascading seed spreader things to try to overseed some areas?

Just to give you an idea of what I'm working with here, this is half of my front lawn:

Here is a closeup of some of the grass seed coming in:

Another shot of the grass seed:

I'm also getting a lot of these around the yard, I'm pretty sure they are weeds:

Offline Jumpstart

• Sr. Forum Member
    • GreenPatch@mymts.net
« Reply #5 on: Tue April 26, 2016, 10:05:00 PM »
yup looks like its started germinating.
keep moist and everything will work out fine.
The ground temp needs to be at least 60 for normal germination.
Even when you had the hot few days and little water , no damage was done because the germination hadn't started yet.
GL

Offline dawrule

• Forum Member
« Reply #6 on: Wed April 27, 2016, 02:50:55 AM »
"The hydroseed guy said he was spraying "Park 'n Play" when I asked him, but he didn't know what kind of seed it was."  :-[

Seems irresponsible to install a lawn and not know what species you are putting down. Most reputable seeding contractors "in my area" will attach a seed tag to the invoice so the customer has a copy.

We have lawn mowing guys who "hydro-mousse" yards in my area and they even leave the seed label!  :o

A park n play mix in your neck of the woods is most likely heavy in perennial ryegrass and fine fescue.

Keep it as damp as you can, broadleaf weeds don't require the water turf grass does and can quickly take over.

Offline New-age-green

• Forum Member
« Reply #7 on: Wed April 27, 2016, 08:57:23 AM »
In my experience, Hydroseed will grow... It's just a matter of time. I have yet to have a lawn come in. Some just take longer than others. You may think you are watering lots but, the seed will always tell the truth. If the temps are hot or it's very windy, I tell the clients to really soak it down. A nice long slow soak will do wonders when the sun is baking.

And yes, that contractor should not be doing business if he doesn't know what he's applying. Totally unprofessional.

My $0.02.

Offline hydroservice

• Forum Legend
« Reply #8 on: Wed April 27, 2016, 02:56:33 PM »
WATER, WATER, WATER.  2.5 ACRES WOULD TAKE AROUND 15000 GALLONS OF WATER TO GERMINATE IT IN 7-10 DAYS IF THE SOIL TEMP IS ABOVE 50
Erosion Control Equipment & Products Since 1947
                     Pittsfield, Maine
                        FINN T-330

Offline dawrule

• Forum Member
« Reply #9 on: Wed April 27, 2016, 03:10:58 PM »
Accuweather has Vancouver, BC as warm and dry for the next week. Buy a few hose timers and stock up on garden hose. Last thing you want is your seedlings to dehydrate and die in next weeks warm weather.

Offline MustardFacial

« Reply #10 on: Wed April 27, 2016, 06:50:27 PM »
Accuweather has Vancouver, BC as warm and dry for the next week. Buy a few hose timers and stock up on garden hose. Last thing you want is your seedlings to dehydrate and die in next weeks warm weather.

I don't have the water pressure to supply more than one hose. And the house is on well water, so I can only do so much at one time.

I've got a good rotating schedule going where all of the lawn gets watered at least once every other day (basically about half of the lawn gets watered every evening, going in rotating sections.)

As much as I would like to do it properly, by the book. Realistically this is the best it is going to get. I'm already watering from the second I get home until the sun goes down, and for about 30 mins in the morning trying to do as much as I can.

Thanks for the advice everyone, if it grows then it grows. If it dies, then so be it. This is as much as I/the house/the well have the capacity for.

Offline hydroservice

• Forum Legend
« Reply #11 on: Thu April 28, 2016, 08:07:20 AM »
Most of the time Mother Nature will come through and it will grow in time
Erosion Control Equipment & Products Since 1947
                     Pittsfield, Maine
                        FINN T-330

* Recent Posts

* Calendar

June 2021
Sun Mon Tue Wed Thu Fri Sat