collapse

Author Topic: New machine build possibly  (Read 793 times)

Offline rustyshakelford

New machine build possibly
« on: Tue February 13, 2018, 04:50:56 PM »
I bought a kubota rtv and spray rig with boom and gps to do pasture/ranchette spraying with. A friend told me about residential Hydroseeding and now I have an incredible interest in it. For my personal use it could help me get some grass growing at my place that Iíve had a hard time with due to the steepness and poor soil conditions. Really need help with something to hold the soil.

Iíve been considering a vsi 110 or 200 gallon machine but the 200 would be a little much to put in the bed and the 110 seems like it could be a little small. The turbo turf 150p is nice but again a little smaller than I think I want to go. I was to add I have zero experience here but going off what Iíve read and studied up on.

Iím thinking (seriously) of building what I want. I have a decent shop set up that would allow me to fab up most things. So far Iíve been shopping for a 300 gallon tank with larger opening and no legs. 8Ē seems to be all I can find. Figuring 600ish with saddle. Also the sumps are only 1.25Ē and that shouldnít be enough to utilize the size of pump Iíll have.

Found a 3Ētrash pump at northern tool for 1350

Iíll be building this on a channel frame and add probably two axles to help it balance. Should I go with 3Ē valves or are they overkill? 2Ē should be able to take advantage of the flow I would think? Will probably use the layout style of the vsi because of how clean it looks. When I use the bulkhead fittings what goes on the inside of the tank for the jet agitation or are they just 1Ē openings?

Thanks for any and all help. I donít think Iíll save a bunch of money per say but will build just what I want. However, would like to minimize my mistakes by asking the pros

Brett

Offline Turboguy

• Administrator
  • Forum Legend
  • Beaver Falls, PA
    • Turbo Turf HydroSeeding Systems
Re: New machine build possibly
« Reply #1 on: Tue February 13, 2018, 05:04:34 PM »
If you are going with a 3" pump I would suggest a 3" valve at least for the agitation however you are going to rig that up.  2" valves should work for the discharge hose.  300 gallon round tanks usually have an 8" or 11" opening but many 300 gallon oval tanks have a 16" opening.  I agree you should avoid a leg tank.  It's too easy for material to build up in the legs. 
Turbo Turf HS-300-XPW +The new for next year HS-400-ZH.

Offline rustyshakelford

« Reply #2 on: Tue February 13, 2018, 05:48:05 PM »
If you are going with a 3" pump I would suggest a 3" valve at least for the agitation however you are going to rig that up.  2" valves should work for the discharge hose.  300 gallon round tanks usually have an 8" or 11" opening but many 300 gallon oval tanks have a 16" opening.  I agree you should avoid a leg tank.  It's too easy for material to build up in the legs.

What do you think about the sump opening being only 1.25Ē? Does the rest of my build plan sound like Iím on the right track? There are such great commercially offered designs out but I really want a specific style of Trailer and by the time I buy a 300 gallon and then the Trailer with shipping it makes it pretty easy to see the saving of trying it all on my own vs blending the two

Brett

Offline rustyshakelford

« Reply #3 on: Wed February 21, 2018, 02:49:56 PM »
How do yíall like the pickup truck style tanks that are round with cutouts for the wheel wells? Trying to find a nice 300 gallon elliptical tank but with the cradle and shipping they are nearly all over $1200 which I donít understand. I will be building and mounting this on a skid. Place in Houston has a 425 gallon for $380 however, I wouldnít need all the capacity. Does anyone else have better ideas for a tank? I donít mind spending the money to do it right if I have to but wanting to hear opinions or options.

Can I order parts for a home built from turbo turf like hose and nozzles?

Brett

Offline Turboguy

• Administrator
  • Forum Legend
  • Beaver Falls, PA
« Reply #4 on: Wed February 21, 2018, 11:44:05 PM »
I don't think the pickup type of tank would work as a hydro seeder.   I think it would be quite hard to design agitation that would work with a tank like that.

We would be happy to sell you nozzles or hose or any parts you have trouble finding.  That would be fine.

Just in case it is of any interest I have a 300 gallon tank on a skid that we originally sold to a dealer along with a bunch of other equipment but his intentions were bigger than his check book and we took back some equipment to help him clear up his account.  I would let that go pretty reasonably, (around $ 500.00) but not sure what the shipping would be.  i can check if you are interested,.  It is an oval tank with a 16" lid.  If that helps you fine and if not that's fine too.  If you are interested I can post a photo when I get back.  I am on my way back from a trade show in New Orleans right now.

Offline rustyshakelford

« Reply #5 on: Thu February 22, 2018, 12:20:31 PM »
I don't think the pickup type of tank would work as a hydro seeder.   I think it would be quite hard to design agitation that would work with a tank like that.

We would be happy to sell you nozzles or hose or any parts you have trouble finding.  That would be fine.

Just in case it is of any interest I have a 300 gallon tank on a skid that we originally sold to a dealer along with a bunch of other equipment but his intentions were bigger than his check book and we took back some equipment to help him clear up his account.  I would let that go pretty reasonably, (around $ 500.00) but not sure what the shipping would be.  i can check if you are interested,.  It is an oval tank with a 16" lid.  If that helps you fine and if not that's fine too.  If you are interested I can post a photo when I get back.  I am on my way back from a trade show in New Orleans right now.

Please add pics when you can. Might go ahead and get some other things to cut down on shipping. Iím pretty serious about getting this going with zero experience but thatís never stopped me from going all out!

Brett

Offline dawrule

• Forum Member
    • Dawrules Hydro Grass Emporium Extravaganza & Erosion Control
« Reply #6 on: Thu February 22, 2018, 07:27:57 PM »
If you are looking to save $ stick to a nice used turbo turf or epic/easy lawn  jet unit. You might even find a good deal on a used Bowie, Turf Maker or Finn. Worst case scenario...hydroseeding don't work out for you and you sell your used seeder for what you paid for it.

A DYI or "questionable only sold on eBay seeders" have low to no resale value. If you get some lawns under your belt your competitors will say your equipment is not "professional". Trust me the "Mechanical Agitation 100% Wood Fiber Mulch Only Master Race" is a thing.

If it was me I would save my time and spend my hard earned money on a piece of equipment that is tried and true with resale value.

Offline rustyshakelford

« Reply #7 on: Thu February 22, 2018, 09:21:33 PM »
If you are looking to save $ stick to a nice used turbo turf or epic/easy lawn  jet unit. You might even find a good deal on a used Bowie, Turf Maker or Finn. Worst case scenario...hydroseeding don't work out for you and you sell your used seeder for what you paid for it.

A DYI or "questionable only sold on eBay seeders" have low to no resale value. If you get some lawns under your belt your competitors will say your equipment is not "professional". Trust me the "Mechanical Agitation 100% Wood Fiber Mulch Only Master Race" is a thing.

If it was me I would save my time and spend my hard earned money on a piece of equipment that is tried and true with resale value.

Iíve looked for used machines and Iím not wanting a $15k on a huge Finn. The smallest I have found was a 500 gallon for 5k. Iím in the Houston area and have searched most of the state. I can only imagine what you think when you think about a homemade machine. Iíve seen those ones on eBay and am not impressed. Mine will have a Honda or northern tool full trash pump, banjo flanged fittings and valves, etc. when I build things I tend to go overboard and donít cut corners. I like thinks to look professional and have been designing it based on what I know about hydraulics and mechanics. My shop is equipped well for fabrication and I work 10 days a month at my bill paying job so lots of opportunities to work on this. It would probably end up being more cost effective to buy a commercially available machine but I want to build my own to fit my space requirements and if I can save some money to get what I want thatís even better.

After reading thru some of these build your own threads where people are talking about using trash cans for tanks and returns thru the lid I can only imagine what yíall have seen

Brett

Offline Turboguy

• Administrator
  • Forum Legend
  • Beaver Falls, PA
« Reply #8 on: Fri February 23, 2018, 11:49:12 AM »
I have seen some home made machines that turned out pretty well and some that didn't.

When I think about home made machines I always think back to a time when I was doing a show in Ohio and had a couple of people tell me they had made their own machines.  The one that stood out was a guy who said he built his own but it didn't mix well so he would put an outboard motor he had in the tank when he wanted to mix. 

I am back in the office today but it is pouring down rain.  When the weather permits I will get and post a photo of that tank.

Offline rustyshakelford

« Reply #9 on: Fri February 23, 2018, 07:05:00 PM »
I have seen some home made machines that turned out pretty well and some that didn't.

When I think about home made machines I always think back to a time when I was doing a show in Ohio and had a couple of people tell me they had made their own machines.  The one that stood out was a guy who said he built his own but it didn't mix well so he would put an outboard motor he had in the tank when he wanted to mix. 

I am back in the office today but it is pouring down rain.  When the weather permits I will get and post a photo of that tank.

I bet that outboards impeller didnít like that very well. Whenever you get to it would be great. Canít remember if yíall work tomorrow but in the slight chance you do I might call ya. Going to be in the truck for 9 hrs to go get a flatbed for one of my trucks and would love to pick your brain and get some prices for the rest of the pieces Iíll need.

Hope the big easy wasnít to hard on you!

Brett

Offline Turboguy

• Administrator
  • Forum Legend
  • Beaver Falls, PA
« Reply #10 on: Sat February 24, 2018, 09:41:24 AM »
I am not sure if you will see this in time but I will be in the office most of the day on Saturday, probably a little on Sunday as well.  The big easy was easy on me and I was easy on it.  I actually spent a number of days there and didn't make it to Bourbon St.  I have been there enough times it wasn't high on my priorities anyway.   

Offline Turboguy

• Administrator
  • Forum Legend
  • Beaver Falls, PA
« Reply #11 on: Sun February 25, 2018, 10:44:37 AM »
Here are a couple of photos of the 300 gallon tank I talked about.  The customer planned to use it to haul water.  He may have used it a few times for that but other than needing a little cleaning it is in good shape.  There are two small fittings in the end that could be plugged or used as an emergency drain.  We took that and a 750 gallon hydroseeder back to square up what he owed us. 

Offline rustyshakelford

« Reply #12 on: Sun February 25, 2018, 03:20:35 PM »
Here are a couple of photos of the 300 gallon tank I talked about.  The customer planned to use it to haul water.  He may have used it a few times for that but other than needing a little cleaning it is in good shape.  There are two small fittings in the end that could be plugged or used as an emergency drain.  We took that and a 750 gallon hydroseeder back to square up what he owed us.

Looks good. Does it have the 3Ē sump fitting on the bottom still? Also when you get a chance to work up everything would you price me a couple of those bulkhead fittings with the nozzles please? Thank you for all the help and taking the time to talk yesterday

Brett

Offline Turboguy

• Administrator
  • Forum Legend
  • Beaver Falls, PA
« Reply #13 on: Mon February 26, 2018, 08:43:54 AM »
The freight on the tank would be $ 450.00.   We added 50 pounds to the weight so if you add any hose or other parts it would be covered.   I don't think it has the 3" fitting in the bottom.   I believe there are two smaller fittings.  You could take out the one and enlarge the hole for a 3" fitting and leave the other as a drain if you ever need to drain the tank.

Offline Turboguy

• Administrator
  • Forum Legend
  • Beaver Falls, PA
« Reply #14 on: Mon February 26, 2018, 04:15:49 PM »
I was looking around today and found something you might like even better but I need to check with my plant manager and he is gone for the day.   We updated our accounting system for 2018 over the weekend and had problems and I had to spend the afternoon waiting for customer service to call me back so I didn't get time until late to look around.  I will get back to you tomorrow on what might be a better option for you.

* Recent Posts

Re: Finn T120 Skid Center of Gravity? by landscaper1009
[Yesterday at 01:19:48 PM]

Finn T120 Skid Center of Gravity? by conc2steel
[Fri May 25, 2018, 03:40:11 PM]

Re: Finn Decal Kits by conc2steel
[Fri May 25, 2018, 01:09:44 PM]

Re: Finn Decal Kits by landscaper1009
[Fri May 25, 2018, 11:56:09 AM]

Finn Decal Kits by conc2steel
[Wed May 23, 2018, 05:30:59 PM]

* Calendar