collapse

Author Topic: Advice for achieving consistent results  (Read 366 times)

Offline Aussiesprayer

Advice for achieving consistent results
« on: Wed December 19, 2018, 04:42:38 AM »
I have recently started up hydroseeding as a second job and have only done a handful of jobs so far. I'm finding I am getting very inconsistent results with some areas coming in really well while others are very thin and patchy even on the same job where same topsoil was used. Was hoping someone with more experience may be able to help? Pics of a recent job:

Offline Vanwormer

Re: Advice for achieving consistent results
« Reply #1 on: Wed December 19, 2018, 06:37:06 AM »
I'm getting these patches too. I'm very new though so I've only done this once so I attributed it to uneven spread. I'd love to know how to avoid it next time too.

Offline Bowie Man

• Officers
  • Forum Legend
    • http://www.NEBowieSales.com
« Reply #2 on: Wed December 19, 2018, 10:27:02 AM »
One of the most common errors made by new hydroseeders is under mixing their loads.  After loading your materials in your unit you should agitate a good 10 minutes plus to insure proper distribution of the seed.  Also the order you load your materials can also help to insure a homogeneous mix.  I like to load a 1/2 to 2/3 of my mulch in my tank than add all my seed & fertilizer.  Add the balance of mulch and finally add tackifier if desired.  Lock down the lid and agitate well for 10 minutes.
You may also want to bump your seed rate.  It is recommended that you increase your seed rate by 10% when hydroseeding.
Ed Dugan
Northeast Bowie Sales LLC
Phone: (908) 231-0987
Fax:  (908) 333-4117
Mobile: (908) 334-6398
www.nebowiesales.com

Now Playing - New Bowie Video featuring our Hydro-Mulchers and Straw Blowers in action.
See what you are missing at:  www.bowieindustries.com

Offline Aussiesprayer

« Reply #3 on: Wed December 19, 2018, 02:44:03 PM »
Thanks. Does poor soil quality ever cause this sort of effect? Currently I always put half the mulch in then seed fertiliser and tackifier then the rest of the mulch and let mix for 10-15 mins. I'm using a small jet agitation machine and never close the agitation valve fully when spraying. One of my test plots looked to be the most uneven application I have done yet it turned out the best most even results. This was done in a paddock at a horse agistment where I imagine the soil would be rich in organic matter. The other jobs I have done have all been on imported topsoil and have ended up with a few thin spots.

Offline Teddy Smothermon

« Reply #4 on: Thu December 20, 2018, 11:15:15 PM »
If you need advise with anything about hydroseeding, just ask Turbo Man.  Ray is full of good advise as are some of the other "old guys".

Offline Turboguy

• Administrator
  • Forum Legend
  • Beaver Falls, PA
    • Turbo Turf HydroSeeding Systems
« Reply #5 on: Sat December 22, 2018, 12:08:43 PM »
Sometimes the soil can be a problem.  That can either be because of poor soil or poor prep.  I have seen lawns that were nicely prepped but as soon as they were ready heavy rains came and compacted the soil.  Hydroseeding on rock hard soil does increase the risk of problems. 

Quite often when I see bare spots after hydroseeding it is a moisture issue.   Sometimes I have seen cases where grass came in great where there was a bit of a dip in the soil and didn't come in as well or took longer to come in where there was a high spot.  That seems to be because the moisture drains from the high spots and stays longer in the low ones.  I have also seen cases where the grass came in faster or better where the house shaded it or trees provided shade to keep the ground more moist.

I do not think it is a case of it being an uneven distribution of the seed in the machine.   My observations are that with both jet and paddle machines the seed distribution in the slurry is even. 

You might want to slightly increase the amount of seed you are using.  I uped my seed rate a couple of years ago by a small amount and it did seem to minimize any problems.  I didn't have many problems at the old rate of seed I used but adding about 10-15% more seed did seem to cut the few callbacks I had to almost nothing.  I still may get a very few but it is almost always because of lack of proper watering or in a few cases soil that was rock hard. 

Turbo Turf HS-300-XPW +The new for next year HS-400-ZH.

Offline MariaPr

2019 !
« Reply #6 on: Tue January 01, 2019, 10:00:42 AM »
         ! ,   ,   ))     !  !   !!!

Offline Aussiesprayer

« Reply #7 on: Mon January 07, 2019, 06:05:49 AM »
Thanks guys,

I did till the soil but went back to the job close to a month later and the soil has gone rock hard again already so I am leaning toward this being the culprit.

What do most of you guys do as far as soil prep?
Do you get soil tests done and add ammendments to the soil case by case, do you till in compost or just remove existing soil and replace with imported topsoil?
Most of my jobs will be residential lawns.

* Recent Posts

Hydroseeding on sandy material by hanls
[Yesterday at 10:45:16 PM]

Re: New to hydroseeding turfmaker by Turboguy
[Sun January 13, 2019, 12:57:34 PM]

Re: New to hydroseeding turfmaker by SmartyGrass
[Sat January 12, 2019, 06:44:09 PM]

Re: 2 Stage HydroSeeding by Dareal39
[Sat January 12, 2019, 04:04:45 PM]

Re: New to hydroseeding turfmaker by Turboguy
[Sat January 12, 2019, 12:35:07 PM]

* Calendar